Sunday, July 1, 2007

Faith, Hope, and Love...

In just 4 hours Lauren and I will be heading to the airport. We have felt as if we were in a time warp here in many ways. As the weeks have gone by, I've found myself grappling with all sorts of different thoughts and emotions on what I have seen and experienced. I have found myself doing a lot of listening and thinking, rather than talking as much as I usually do.

It is natural and easy for we as Americans (and Westerners) to come here and be overwhelmed and saddened at the poverty, lack of education and sanitation, harsh treatment of women, lack of attention to children, etc. At the same time, there is MUCH we can learn from this culture and these people. I refuse to believe that the negative aspects I've seen and experienced are as good as it gets (or will get) for these people, and I'm sure I will continue to process things for quite some time. Amidst it all, the Lord has taken me back to this verse:

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

Faith: I see faith in Grace, who says a prayer for every child she holds at school each day. I see faith in Batista, whose actions, words, and thankful attitude reflect Christ. I see faith in the girl who is singing the hymns at church with eyes closed and without a hymnal. I see faith in Carolyn, an outspoken Christian and African woman at the wood market, who is empowering women to do something with their lives...

Hope: I see hope in Abdala, who gets up every morning excited to go to a school that will accept him. I see hope in the smiling faces of the children as they greet us each morning in Kunduchi village. I see hope in the "mamas" who sit outside of school to get water, help with bathroom duties, and watch over the very little ones. I see hope in our driver, Mapunda (who is 47yrs old), who is not ashamed of sitting in the afternoon English class for 7-9yr olds...

Love: I see love in Siri, as she sprints towards me, jumps up into my arms, and kisses me on the cheek. I see love in my fellow volunteers as they patiently let children hang all over them, as they bandage wounds and blow noses, as they pour water. I see love in the old woman at church who walked up to us this morning with a very warm welcome. I see love in the older brothers and sisters who take such good care of their younger siblings at school...

...and these are just a few highlights. This country is not void of faith, hope, and love. Praise God for this! I have been reminded over and over again that I must love these people through my actions...this has truly been "drilled" into me, as I only know a few Swahili phrases/words.

As Lauren wrote, thank you so much for being so supportive and journeying with us for the past 5 weeks. There's lots left to tell and show in person!




Another smiling kiddo, holding the hand of her younger brother.








For the last time, here is a list:

TOP 5 THINGS I WILL NOT MISS (In Order):

1. The PINK SHORT SLEEVED SHIRT that I wear all the time.

2. Burning Trash and Black Smoke from moving vehicles.

3. Sleeping Under A Mosquito Net every night.

4. Eau de DEEP WOODS OFF!

5. Ants in my food, on the wall, in the sink, in the bed...and so forth and so on.

...Kwaheri (good-bye)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts. You and Lauren have been quite a team. Safe trip back. Again, you "guys" have made a HUGE difference.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

You wrote so beautifully about your experience, THANK YOU!!! I am so thankful that Lauren has had you with her and you guys made a fantastic team! I can't wait to meet you in person in August!

Love,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Nice, Jenn! This just reminds me how lucky the world is, and i am, to have you... i cannot wait to hear all about your experience!!