Saturday, June 30, 2007

Now what?


As we leave tonight, I have been pondering my future involvement with the children that I have met, and other kids like them that live in Africa. How can I support them from far away? How can I show these children that they are not forgotten, but that they matter, they are important and they are loved?

My heart continues to firmly believe that my work (and our work) in Africa is not done.

I would encourage those of you who are interested in sharing your life and resources with children like the ones you have read about on our blog to look into an "adopt-a-child" program. There are several reputable organizations that will take your $20 or $30 a month and expand it to: send your sponsored child to school, feed them and clothe them. You can communicate with them through letter so you can begin a relationship with the child, as well. It may seem like a small effort, as you are only helping one child at a time, but that is where we have to start. One at a time to change the problems that poverty allows. It is a way for you to change a life without ever leaving your home. That is pretty incredible!

I am certainly not trying to guilt anyone into such a commitment, just encouraging those who are interested in becoming involved with the people of Africa to do something concrete to support a child in a life-changing way.

Below are some respected organizations through which you can "adopt" a child.
(If there is a place, other than Africa, that you are interested in these organizations reach children all of the world. I am just a bit partial!)

Food for the Hungry
www.fh.org
Compassion International
www.compassion.com

World Vision
www.wvi.org

Thank you again for your prayers, encouragement, support and interest in what we have been able to do in our 5 weeks here. We are blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.
We are looking forward to seeing each of you in the coming weeks.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SML -

I'm going to miss writing to you on this thing, but will be so happy to hear your voice! You and Jenny have done great things, and I cannot tell you how proud I am of you! I can't wait to see you!

Love,
Elizabeth