Friday, June 29, 2007

T Minus one day....

Our cook, Batiste, whom I have written about earlier, has a son Horucy that is not able to attend school this year because of financial difficulties. Horus is a great kid who comes to our afternoon classes. We all like him very much. Due to the fact that I have had so many generous donors, I was able to go to his former school and register him for next year! He will begin classes in January, which is the beginning of their school year. The whole family is thrilled.
Thank you, again, for your generosity.
The Jordan School where Horucy will go to school.

Batiste and me after I told him that you will be sending Horacy to school!
We took a vehicle like the one above. They are called "dala dalas" and are absolutely packed each day with Africans. It was a fun experience! We also sat on bike taxis on the way back from the wood market- side saddle in a skirt, no less! (A bike taxi has another seat on the back and a small handle....sort of scary....but kind of fun, too!)
We went to Grace's house for an authentic African lunch. Above is her daughter Anna and niece Bumi who we played with while there.

Our lunch: ciabetta (tortilla-like bread), pineapple, beans and pumpkin leaves. I repeat....pumpkin leaves. They had an interesting taste....almost like a grainy spinach/collard green flavor.)


I wanted to post some other great pictures that were taken along the way....
A couple hanging out on their "front step" in Kunduchi village.

DZinyeto's wife and baby, Fatuma
(And yes, there is a "D" in front of the "Z" in his name....we are finding out that consonants belong all over the names the we have been misspelling and mispronouncing!)




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SML -

I can't believe how time flies! I am so excited that you were able to help out and send Horacy to school! I hope you know what an amazing job you and Jenny have done! We are all so proud of you!

LOVE,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Lauren..You are a B.A!, and H.C too!!...Dala dala and the food too...my goodness...ahahah...youre a star...talk to ya when your back home...hope you and Jenn travel safe!!

Anna Pearson said...

Wow! I can't believe your time has come to an end. You both have done incredible things this past month and I'm honored to know both of you. I will be praying for you both. I'm so excited for Horacy and his family. I know they are so very grateful for you and your ministry. Travel safe, and I'll see you soon!

Courtney said...

See you soon...just in time for the 4th!! :-)

aunt elizabeth said...

right down to the wire, you helped still another child, horus. wonderful!!!! you should have been named after st. ann, marys mother,often referred to as "the mother of all mothers".you've done an amazing job and in such a short time [although the first week did seem VERY LONG!!!loved the picture of the dinner grace made for you, it looked WONDERFUL! can't wait to talk with you when you return. safe trip, i keep thinking this willl be my last comment but you and i keep going like the everready battery!! God bless, love aunt, elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

Patrick here, I was just leaving Dar as you guys arrived, maybe you remember me.

Tracey gave me your blog a while back when I caught up with her back here in NZ, it's good to hear about your great experience and nice to hear about what happened after I left, looks like things really picked up, which is just awesome.

Just 1 thing, the pic with the comment that this is DZinyeto's wife and baby, Fatuma, that's actually not them, cause I remember taking that picture, if you want I can send you a picture of DZinyeto and his family??? just let me know, my email is leathen@gmx.de

Look forward to hearing from you.

Patrick